Monday, July 27, 2009

Fun is friends, is food, is money and a little booze.

What an exhausting weekend. Karate sessions at the ungodly hour of seven in the morning every Saturday and Sunday until mid-September means I get to kick off my weekend by going early to be on Friday night, start off Saturday getting beaten up by a man who tells us we are pathetic and useless and a passing turtle could kick our butts if we do push-ups any slower, and go home and moan a bit before doing other, weekend-y things like a little shopping, a lot of hanging out, and Trying New Things (comma, quote, quote, full-stop). Then we get to go back on Sunday at seven, which means getting out of bed at five a.m, incidentally, sleep-deprived and hating Sir with all our hearts but desperately wanting his approval all the same, because look at him, the man is a fucking ninja.

And then I get home and yesterday there was a kind of formal gathering of my father's umpteen colleagues and friends and people-he-used-to-know-once-upon-a-time, being a teacher and passing through several faculties and all. So there I was, crouched in front of a low table poring out drinks for almost two hundred people, and every now and then someone would come up and ask leading questions like, 'Do you remember me? You saw me when you were a tiny kid - you don't remember me, do you?' and I smile uncertainly up at them, and then when I uncurl myself and stand up I see the eyes widening as the uncurling keeps happening and then they look up at me and blink and say to whichever one of of my parents is nearby, 'But she's so tall! Ki hobe?' implying my lack of marriageability given that I apparently look like a brontosaurus even without heels. And then my parents mumble something, and I mumble something too and crouch down again quickly.

Anyway, the haul was good - lots of swag and G's, and the day before I'd comprehensively finished off my summer shopping list except for one thing which I intend to get today; and best of all, apparently everyone knows I love books so about ten gift-coupons for Starmark and Crossword are in my possession now, and yes, I can see you drooling, :P.

I'm very chipper when I'm blogging in the morning. Last night I blew a couple of things completely out of proportion and freaked out about feeling alone and was close to tears by the time I finally fell asleep. Funnily enough, all that seems relatively trivial today. Moving on feels particularly good this cloudy morning, by Loki! Good day to you.

1 comment:

Suki said...

1. Now I know why you call me "tiny and perfect". My folks call me "nataa". Bah.
2. Today you will see the Other Side of the Spectrum when(if?) we go shopping.
3. I miss being up at 5 in the morning. Need to stop getting to bed at 2.
4. Had a weird dream that Sir was driving us somewhere in a rickshaw. DO NOT ASK.
5. I was called Loki and "Sookhee Lauki" in school. Again, don't ask.

That's all, folks!